Monday, September 18, 2017

Winter Wolf Painted as Mutant Toto for the Wild West Wizard of Oz Set: Bones 3 Figure

    When I posted my Dorothy and Toto figures from the Bones 3 Wild West Wizard of Oz set a couple weeks ago; one of my readers, Lasgunpacker, asked that with all the other characters undergoing significant "post-apocalyptic" changes from the classic versions, shouldn't Toto get a bit of an upgrade too?  I immediately thought, "What a great idea!" and wondered why it had never crossed my mind before.  Luckily,  I had the Winter Wolf figure from the Bones 3 Chill Out set; and since I had already painted the Warg from Bones 1 as an Arctic Wolf, I really didn't need a second one in Winter colors.
       I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.    I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.25" fender washer with Aleene's Tacky glue, and then glued the washer-mounted figure to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of the Elmer's glue.
     I decided I'd paint him in the same colors I used for the Toto I had already done, (So I had the option to use the pair as some sort of canine Incredible Hulk!),  so I painted the entire figure with Accent "Real Umber."  When dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel "Nuln Oil" wash.  I then gave him a light drybrush of Ceramcoat "Territorial Beige"
     Next, I did a drybrush of Folk Art "Butter Pecan concentrating mainly on his back and head.  I then gave him Black eyes, and muzzle, with tiny White highlight dots.  After that I added a little hint of tongue wth Crafter's Acrylic "Tutti Frutti", and then painted his teeth with Americana "Antique White", and then did highlights on them with Crafter's Acrylic "Light Antuque White".   Lastly, I painted his base Americana "Bittersweet Chocolate".
      I let the wolf dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana "DuraClear Matte" varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to glue a little coarse sand to the base.  When this was dry, I painted the sand and the washer with  the "Bittersweet Chocolate".  When the that was dry, I drybrushed the base with some of the "Territorial Beige", and then some of the "Antique White".   Lastly, I glued on some tufts of grass.

A girl and her faithful dog.

A look at the whole gang together.

The original Toto figure with the new "improved" Toto. :)
     I'm really happy with this upgrade to Toto.  I think it works better with the feel of the set than the original plain one did.

4 comments:

  1. Toto we are not in Kansas anymore!

    Now this looks like a group ready for anything... (I would have also accepted a wolf man)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Lasgunpacker! And thanks again for the inspiration. You're right, a Wolfman would have worked too, but I liked the dynamic of a girl and her pet dog/wolf rather than Toto being a "person" as well.

      Delete
  2. If your gonna have a 'dog' this big, then it must be able to talk in a low gravely voice! (IMHO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see him being able to talk as well. What's the point of being a mutant if it doesn't give you intelligence and speech ability as well. :)

      Delete